Before you start to think about factors like styles and colours, it’s important to take some time to think about how light moves through your home.
Observe how light affects your day, whether it’s the sun’s natural rays or the artificial glow of street lamps and such - then you can start to understand what you need from your window coverings.
- Does the morning sun wake you too early, or do you like the way it filters in as a natural alarm clock?
- Do you need to block out a dazzling streetlamp when you’re trying to sleep?
- Is your TV or computer screen affected by glare or reflections at certain times of day?
- Do you put lamps on earlier in some rooms of the house, and therefore need a little more privacy?
- Do you need to protect flooring and furnishings from fading at the height of the summer sun?
Based on your findings, you’ll have a better idea of your requirements, such as if you need room-darkening blinds or sheer fabrics that diffuse harsh rays into a more ambient glow.